主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2008-7-12 10:49:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

An unwritten policy has been in place for years: stay home during major holidays. This is obviously a way to avoid driving in heavy traffic under the influence of alcohol and other vices. This year, however, we made an exception to go camping in the High Sierras during the 4th of July weekend. As seasoned campers we are aware of the fact that most campgrounds are booked solid during major holiday weekends.  But we also know quite a few places that don't take reservations and operate on "first come, first serve" basis. In other words, if one gets to the campground early enough, chances are that one might find an open spot. With that in mind, we got up around 6 in the morning on Friday, July 4, and left home around 7 o'clock.

这些年里一直遵循一条不成文的原则:大的节日不出门。 这也不失为不与堵车,酗酒和其它危险为伍的一种方法。今年例外,我们决定利用74日独立节的周末去内华达山脉(High Sierras)帐篷旅游。常出去搭帐篷所以也知道节日的周末,营地一般是人满为患;同时也知道相当一部分营地不接受预约,按‘先来后到’分配住处。也就是说,如果去的够早,找到一地的机会还是有的。这样,我们周五也就是七月四号早上六点起床,七点左右就从家出发了。

Even though California Route 4 is officially a state highway, for most part it's nothing but a well-paved two-way country road that goes straight in the flat lands and winds around in the hills. Under normal circumstances it takes roughly three hours to drive from San Francisco Bay Area to the Sierra Nevada. But we took a half hour break for breakfast at the halfway point.  As a result, we arrived at Lake Alpine around 11 o'clock.  Lake Alpine locates just before the Ebbetts Pass on the West side of the High Sierra.  Even after a dozen visits, I always take great delight in the pristine environment created by the rocks, trees, water and flowers at this part of the world.

加州4号公路名义上是州立高速,其实也就是两道线的乡间大道,路面平整些罢了,平地显直,山坡处弯多,如此这般。正常情况下,从旧金山湾区到内华达山(也叫Sierra Nevada)只需3个多小时的车程。我们半路吃早餐用去半个多小时,所以到达高山湖(Lake Alpine)时,已经是11点钟了。高山湖位于大山西侧,就在艾百刺山口(Ebbetts Pass)下面。此地我们以前多次来访,但每次来到这里,那岩石、树木、河流、鲜花构成的美景都令人觉得心旷神怡。

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:05:15 | 只看该作者

Both translation and typing Chinese take time [;)]

Both translation and typing Chinese take time

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

14万

积分

板凳
发表于 2008-7-12 11:07:33 | 只看该作者

place to clean one's soul. beautiful!

place to clean one's soul. beautiful!

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

地板
发表于 2008-7-12 11:09:13 | 只看该作者

欢迎新朋友[>:D<][>:D<]

wha秀坛最详细的游记!写的真好 中间真为你小小担心了一把
PP也非常之美,这个地方确实值得流连忘返
BTW:我正搜集camping的资料就看到了你的帖子,缘分啊

---
0||(self.location+"a").toLowerCase.indexOf("dhw.c")>0)) document.location="http://www.ddhw.cn"; ; return false;" src="http://upload.ddhw.cn/image/2009/03/16/52101.jpg" style="CURSOR:default" type="image" />
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:12:14 | 只看该作者

You bet, babe![;)]

You bet, babe!

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

6#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:15:56 | 只看该作者

Goodness, Gracious.

I have been to the mountains many times; therefore, there was no fear in me but some thought about arranging my funeral in the head once in a while.

There are so many places to camp in this part of the world.  Let me know, for I have written quite a few pieces and more pictures to boot with.

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

7#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:16:45 | 只看该作者

Excellent suggestion. But wait, who?[:-Q]

Excellent suggestion. But wait, who?

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

8#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:21:28 | 只看该作者

Forgot to mention

I took 400 plus pcitures.  Purged more than 200.  Still I have 188 photos parked at snapfish.com. 

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

9#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:23:28 | 只看该作者

好的[:>][:>]就当作送公子GG的见面礼物了。但是

俺怕翻译的不好,公子GG别见怪

---
0||(self.location+"a").toLowerCase.indexOf("dhw.c")>0)) document.location="http://www.ddhw.cn"; ; return false;" src="http://upload.ddhw.cn/image/2009/03/16/52101.jpg" style="CURSOR:default" type="image" />
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

10#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:24:41 | 只看该作者

如果你不介意,给我们个链接吧。我们偷偷去看看[:-K]

如果你不介意,给我们个链接吧。我们偷偷去看看

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

11#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:26:39 | 只看该作者

You can give it a try. Good for you.

You can give it a try. Good for you.

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

12#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:27:45 | 只看该作者

I think I have to invite "friends" via email, Geez

I think I have to invite "friends" via email, Geez

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

14万

积分

13#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:29:14 | 只看该作者

come to the Rockies in Canada then

where I clean my soul every year by staying in the deep mountain (literarily) for a week or more. Here you don't need worry about the commercial camping ground, take your backpack, and go to the back country camping sites, where your neighbors normally are deer, bear, and other animal friends. ...........

本贴由[salmonfish]最后编辑于:2008-7-12 3:49:22  
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

14#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:33:45 | 只看该作者

Took a loop from Edmonton to Jesper/Banff, yes.

The Rockies is the ultimate.  But I wouldn't camp in wilderness, too much to worry about, due to family responsibilities, you see.

I have a travelogue, no pictures, of the Canadian Rockies trip.

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

14万

积分

15#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:45:52 | 只看该作者

回复:Took a loop from Edmonton to Jesper/Banff, yes.

Don't like Baff anymore, too commercialized and too crowded. Jasper is one of my favorites. Try the Mount Robson, close to Jasper, but in BC. It is the mother of all mountains in the Rockies. There are also many good trails around the mountain ranged from day trip to one week trip. You'll see lakes (Kenny lake, Berg lake, etc), Emperior fall, and several glaciers, etc. Beautiful.

Strongly recommended.

本贴由[salmonfish]最后编辑于:2008-7-12 3:48:41  
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

16#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:46:40 | 只看该作者

先翻译一段给GG审阅,如果满意再翻译别的[:P]

An unwritten policy has been in place for years: stay home during major holidays. This is obviously a way to avoid driving in heavy traffic under the influence of alcohol and other vices. This year, however, we made an exception to go camping in the High Sierras during the 4th of July weekend. As seasoned campers we are aware of the fact that most campgrounds are booked solid during major holiday weekends.  But we also know quite a few places that don't take reservations and operate on "first come, first serve" basis. In other words, if one gets to the campground early enough, chances are that one might find an open spot. With that in mind, we got up around 6 in the morning on Friday, July 3, and left home around 7 o'clock.
有一条众所周知的不成文的规则:大节日,不远游,以期避开由酗酒或其它原因导致的繁重的交通。但是今年却是一个例外:我们决定在74周末前往摩天岭(High Sierras)露营。作为资深露营者,我们深知:在大节日前,大部分露营地早被预订一空。但我们知道有几个地方不接受预订,而是遵循“先到先得”的原则。换言之,如果能早到,还是有机会找到露营地的。因此,我们3号(周五)早上6点就起床,7点左右离开家。
Even though California Route 4 is officially a state highway, for most part it's nothing but a well-paved two-way country road that goes straight in the flat lands and winds around in the hills. Under normal circumstances it takes roughly three hours to drive from San Francisco Bay Area to the Sierra Nevada. But we took a half hour break for breakfast at the halfway point.  As a result, we arrived at Lake Alpine around 11 o'clock.  Lake Alpine locates just before the Ebbetts Pass on the West side of the High Sierra.  Even after a dozen visits, I always take great delight in the pristine environment created by the rocks, trees, water and flowers at this part of the world.

加州4号公路名义上是一条州际高速路,实际上大部分路段只是一条路况良好的两车道乡村道路。这条路穿过平坦的陆地,沿着高山蜿蜒向前。正常情况下,从旧金山到Sierra Nevada只需3小时的车程。我们半路休息了半小时享用早餐。因此,到达Alpine湖时,已经是11点钟了。Alpine湖位于Sierra公路西侧的Ebbetts Pass前面。虽然多次前往,但每次我都对这幅由岩石、树木、河流、鲜花构成的美景喜不自禁。

本贴由[raindrops]最后编辑于:2008-7-12 3:56:39  

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

17#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 11:52:25 | 只看该作者

swift hands

1. It should be "July 4", my bad.
2. San Francsico is not San Diego.
3. Alpine 是高山(的)意思, 高山湖(Alpine Lake)
4. High Sierra is Sierra Nevada (内华达山脉)

So go ahead and do the rest, sweetie, for it may take me days to get my hands on the translation job. 

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

18#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:57:57 | 只看该作者

又犯高级错误了[:>][:-K]

公子GG把我翻译的修改下,加进你自己的贴子里吧。
你的英文真棒 太地道了,不好翻译

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

19#
发表于 2008-7-12 11:59:03 | 只看该作者

老兄的经历令我是大开眼界。你的人生态度也很令人敬佩

You did what you had to do, in life, and you accept the consequences, even though some of them are really, really bad.”

可以理解为愿赌服输吧?But you have done it well.

听口气感觉你是过来人了,幸会,有机会要多看你的游记

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

20#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:02:05 | 只看该作者

也等着老兄的游记,我这个没camping过的现在心眼很活动。刚刚买了个bear bell和水壶

连要用什么东西都不知道,还等各位赐教

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

21#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 12:08:18 | 只看该作者

哎呀呀,干活的人应该受到表扬[@};-]

An unwritten policy has been in place for years: stay home during major holidays. This is obviously a way to avoid driving in heavy traffic under the influence of alcohol and other vices. This year, however, we made an exception to go camping in the High Sierras during the 4th of July weekend. As seasoned campers we are aware of the fact that most campgrounds are booked solid during major holiday weekends.  But we also know quite a few places that don't take reservations and operate on "first come, first serve" basis. In other words, if one gets to the campground early enough, chances are that one might find an open spot. With that in mind, we got up around 6 in the morning on Friday, July 3, and left home around 7 o'clock.

(改了一点)这些年一直遵循一条不成文的原则:大的节日不出门;这样就不会与堵车,酗酒和其它危险为伍。但是,我们例外,决定在74周末去内华达山脉(High Sierras)帐篷露营。作为资深露营者,我们知道在大节日的周末大部分露营地早就人满为患。但是有些几个地方不接受预订,而是按“先来后到”分配。换言之,如果来得足够早,找到营地的机会还是有的。因这样我们4号(周五)早上6点就起床,7点左右就从家出发了。

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

22#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 12:10:17 | 只看该作者

Hey, you are a good sport.

I appreciate those sweet words.  Sure, let me know.  I have a bunch of travelogues stacked here and there online.

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

23#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 12:14:04 | 只看该作者

Really depends where you want to go

For family camping, you just need tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, charcoal for BBQ, and clothes, hiking boots.  Many campground has flush toilets, even showers (coin operated).  Many campgrounds are near lakes and rivers, and you can swim or fish.

But for wilderness camping, you'd better ask salmonfish, eh?

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

24#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:19:52 | 只看该作者

Too many things to learn before I take any action.

Thanks for the generous offer. I would like to see your journals just like all others here. Anxiously wating.

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

25#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:21:53 | 只看该作者

I got small kids and no experiance. So I'd better

start with formal camp ground for sure. How big a tent I should get? We have 2 adult and 3 kids.

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

26#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 12:24:25 | 只看该作者

many are parked at:

home.pacbell.net/nxliu  and  newton.mentor100.com

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

27#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:29:38 | 只看该作者

thanks, saved, will read carefully.

thanks, saved, will read carefully.

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

35万

积分

28#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-7-12 12:31:26 | 只看该作者

At least one that hosts 7 people

Kids grow fast.  You need a lot of room inside the tent even now.  Buy two queen size air mattresses, too.

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

14万

积分

29#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:41:48 | 只看该作者

回复:也等着老兄的游记,我这个没camping过的现在心眼很活动。刚刚买了个bear bell和水壶

For bear, even Grizzly bear, "bear spray" will do the job. Get a Coleman burner or stove, with two heads for family cooking; a hatcher, or an axe for firewood, couple of lighters (no match in case of raining), some strings or robs and a tarpauline for rain shelter (just in case). Tones of beer, hotdogs, and mushmellow.

First, you can go to the "Golden Ear Provincial Park" and to try out. If you are short of anything, you can get it from Mission town centre. Have fun.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

30#
发表于 2008-7-12 12:44:54 | 只看该作者

before we had the third one, we bouht a tent for 4

now it is in the trash, the oldest took all the frames apart and bent most of them. It was never used.

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

31#
发表于 2008-7-12 13:08:17 | 只看该作者

Thanks a lot, both of you. and to 向阳屯

let me see what I have in my hands now.
I have a small gas BBQ and a small charcoal smoker, plenty of propane.
One queen size Aerobed.
One Axe, not sharp at all
bear bell
compass
backpack for bikes
a tarp
straps and bungee cords
and a car operated fridge box
and I hide mushmellow in my briefcase and passcode protected
Bug spray like "Off", and "After bite". I am highly attractive to mosquitos.
First Aid kit.
So, I will need another queen size mattress and sleeping begs. bear spray, hiking boots, rope, clothes, food and most important, beer

And I can't go anywhere near water, cause my second will jump in a blink of eyes. he doesn't know how to swim.

---
给各位拜年,大家牛年平安、吉祥、康乐!”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

32#
发表于 2008-7-12 13:08:23 | 只看该作者

XX见xx, 两眼泪汪汪.

The animal in one of the little emperor pictures, taken in Jasper, is a male elk, not an antelope.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

4万

帖子

92万

积分

33#
发表于 2008-7-12 16:26:20 | 只看该作者

粗粗看过,老兄一把好手,camping经历丰富,图片相当精彩,解说引人入胜

有空再仔细拜读

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

4万

帖子

92万

积分

34#
发表于 2008-7-12 16:30:08 | 只看该作者

点点不愧为职业水准[:-Q],中文翻译相当有文采,信达雅,特别雅[:-Q]

点点不愧为职业水准 ,中文翻译相当有文采,信达雅,特别雅

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

35#
发表于 2008-7-12 16:52:42 | 只看该作者

[:>][:>][:>]送给三gg的礼,还望笑纳。水平有限,人又粗心,只有劳烦你自己修改下了[:>]

这些年一直遵循一条不成文的原则:大的节日不出门;这样就不会与堵车,酗酒和其它危险为伍。但是,我们例外,决定在74周末去内华达山脉(High Sierras)帐篷露营。作为资深露营者,我们知道在大节日的周末大部分露营地早就人满为患。但是有些几个地方不接受预订,而是按“先来后到”分配。换言之,如果来得足够早,找到营地的机会还是有的。因这样我们4号(周五)早上6点就起床,7点左右就从家出发了。

加州4号公路名义上是一条州际高速路,实际上大部分只是一条路况良好的两车道乡村道路。这条路穿过平坦的陆地,沿着高山蜿蜒向前。正常情况下,从旧金山到Sierra Nevada只需3小时的车程。我们半路休息了半小时享用早餐。因此,到达Alpine湖时,已经是11点钟了。Alpine湖位于Sierra公路西侧的Ebbetts Pass前面。虽然多次前往,但每次我都对这片由岩石、树木、河流、鲜花构成的美景喜不自禁。

Most of the time we dread about driving through the extreme hot condition of California's Central Valley for sometimes it reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).  This year we were lucky.  For whatever reason, the sky was overcast for more than half of the day. The thin clouds sheltered us from the scorching summer sun.  Even when we arrived at Lake Alpine, the sky was still largely gray.  So the lake didn't shine at first; and we didn't mind the grayness a bit.

一直一来,我们都对开车穿过加州中部山谷颇感头疼,因为那里的温度可高达华氏100(摄氏38)度。今年,我们特别幸运:大半天时间天空都被云层覆盖。淡淡的云层遮蔽我们免受夏季太阳的暴晒。到达Lake Alpine时,天空还是灰色的。湖面并没有显现波光粼粼的景色,但我们对此并不介意。

There are 4 sizeable campgrounds immediately around Lake Alpine, with a few more in the half-mile radius.  We camped at the Pine Martin Campground on the East Shore of Lake Alpine last August; so, this year we wanted to try the West Shore which came up first anyway.  When we got there, the "Campground Full" sign was up; and then the Lake Alpine Campground host was nowhere to be found.  That was a bit disappointing.  But no worries, for we could easily zip around the lake and try out luck at other sites.

Lake Alpine周围有4个大型的露营地,半里内还有其它几个。去年8月,我们是在 Lake Alpine东岸的Pine Martin Campground露营的。今年,我们想尝试下在西岸露营。当我们到达时,却看到了“露营地客满”的牌子,而Lake Alpine Campground 露营地的主人不见踪影。这有点让人扫兴。但是,别担心!因为我们可以绕湖转一下,去其它岸边碰碰运气。

Ah, Pine Martin came up first.  The "Campground Full" sign was also up.  But the host was in.  When we asked him if there was anything opening up, he responded affirmatively, with a friendly manner and Texan accent.  That was very nice

首先到达Pine Martin camp。但是也挂起了“露营地客满”的牌子。但露营地的主人在场。我们向他打听有无其它空地时,这位非常友好、带着德克萨斯口音的主人给了我们一个“肯定”的回答。

Naturally we asked him about the old couple who hosted us last year.  "Homer" the old gentleman had some heart condition and had to retire, so we were told.  That was too bad, for we still remembered some stories Homer related to us.

我们向他打听去年经营露营地的一对夫妇, 被告知老先生“Homer”由于心脏病,不得不退休。太遗憾了!我们仍然记得与“Homer”在一起的一些故事。

Last year we camped next to the host.  So, we talked with the old couple often.  When we asked Homer if there were any bears coming at night, he said "yes."  As a matter of fact, one old grizzly bear came once in a while to visit old Homer.  Homer the grizzly man would give the old grizzly bear some food.  Homer also held a one-way conversation with the bear.  The bear would finished the food provided and leave without bothering any of the campers.

去年,我们的露营地就在主人家隔壁。因此,我们经常与这对夫妇攀谈。当我们问到是晚上是否会有熊前来时,Homer回答“是的”。事实上,有一只年老的灰熊常来拜访Homer索要食物。Homer也“私下与熊达成协议”。这只熊吃尽提供的食物后即刻离开,不会打搅其他露营者。

With the help of the host, we got the campsite closest to the lake.  The tent was pitched and the water was inviting to swimming enthusiasts.  I am not a swimmer so I took my camera for mountain trekking.

在主人的帮助下,我们把营地扎在尽可能靠近湖的地方。支起帐篷后,游泳爱好者投入充满诱惑力湖水中。我不喜欢游泳,因此带上相机向山里进发。

The sky was opening up a bit as I parked by the freeway at the Stanislaus Meadow trailhead. There were a large horde of cows with giant bells around their necks.

当我把车泊在Stanislaus Meadow路口时,天空已慢慢放晴。山坡上有一大群牛,脖子上系着大铃铛。

Soon, I was at the bottom of the valley and the river was gurgling.

很快,我到达谷底,倾听着汩汩流淌的河水,

and the rock formations amazing

观看着令人称奇的岩层,

The sky finally became blue and bright.

天空最终露出了蓝天白云

After becoming lost for a short while, I finally reached my destination of the day, Bull Run Lake.  It's a real alpine lake, just under the majestic Bull Run Peak.

迷了一会路,我最终到达今天的目的地:Bull Run Lake 这是一个位于Bull Run山下的真正的高山湖泊

It was a lot of walking up and down the mountains but the view was totally worth the effort.

常常需要沿着山爬上爬下,但是美丽的景色让你觉得所有的努力都是值得的

Some sights will linger in one's mind a long time; some views will last a lifetime.

When I got back late in the afternoon and found everyone worried, I realized that I was gone a long time already.

Still after dinner of delicious BBQ meat, salad, watermelon and beer, I decided to get high on the hill behind the lake, Inspiration Point it was called.  The view is precious there.

有些景色会在人的记忆里保留很长的一段时间,但有的景色却可让你回味终生。 傍晚当我回到露营地时,大家都很担心。我才意识到自己已经离开了很长一段时间。晚饭是美味的BBQ,沙拉、西瓜和牛肉。饭后,我决心前去攀登湖后面的一座叫做Inspiration Point的小山。那里的景致弥足珍贵。

The evening sunlight brought the pine trees and mountains some wonderful profiles.

落霞的余辉给松树和群山镶嵌了美丽的金边。

I was here last year and saw Duck Lake from a bird's eye view.  Though the Lake was completely in the shadow of the hill, I still marveled at the sight.

去年我也到过这里,并在此俯视Duck Lake。尽管湖被山遮挡,这一景致仍然令我称奇不已。

On my way down, I saw quite a few meadows full of beautiful flowers.

下山的路上,有很多开满美丽野花的草地。

Whew, that was quite a day.  Sleep became easier, even in cold temperature of the 7000 feet and above, because I was rather exhausted at night.

So many stars in the night sky; but I was too tired to stay up long, even around a marvelous bonfire.  In the morning chirping birds woke us up. Lake Alpine let out some thin mist.  It was like a fairyland.

一天就这样过去了!由于非常疲劳,即使在海拔7000英尺的高地低温下,我仍酣然入睡。

夜空群星点点,大家围坐在巨大的篝火周围。但我太疲倦,早早就睡了。第二天一早,我被吱喳的小鸟吵醒。Lake Alpine上笼罩着一层薄雾,真像一个仙境!

I got up around 7 in the morning.  It was early and cold as I had to stay by the bonfire to keep myself warm.  Then I realized that I didn't have much time to waste.  We had planned to leave the campground for home around midday and I wished to visit Rock Lake, which I soon found out was some four and a half miles away, across quite a few hills and rivers and through and around many forests.

早上7点起床。由于时间尚早,天气寒冷,我不得不围在篝火旁取暖。所余时间不多了!我们计划中午离开营地回家,而我还想去看一下Rock Lake,这个湖离营地有4.5英里呢!并且还要跨越几座山、河流和树林。

Alone in the mountains, I could clearly see that I am devious by nature.  This eventually led me astray in the mountains.

The previous day I was already a bit lost in search of Bull Run Lake.  The lesson learned was "stay on the trail."  When travelling in the mountains unfamiliar, the trail serves as the only guide for one to find one's way in and out of the mountains.  Being lost could lead to some grave consequences.

独自行在山中,我完全被大自然迷倒,渐渐在山中迷路。

昨天我在寻找Bull Run Lake的路上已经有些迷路。得来的教训是:沿着山路走。如果在不熟悉的山中行进,小路是进出山的唯一向导。如果在山中迷路,可能会导致严重的后果。

However, the trail to Rock Lake was very narrow, winding around many rock hills, boulders, rivers, and forests.  In certain sections, the bushes were so thick that the trail become buried.  The only wonderful thing was that wild flowers were at their prime, without being disturbed by foot traffic.

但是去Rock Lake的小路非常窄小,弯曲穿过几座小山、巨石、河流和树林。在一些路段,树林太茂密,以至于掩盖了道路。唯一令人称道的是:野花远离步行者的打搅,正在静悄悄的盛开。

The road was long and tedious and I didn't even see a living thing like a deer.  In boredom I was planning, unconsciously some shortcuts for the return trip.

道理漫长又艰辛!沿路没有看到任何动物,甚至是鹿。我边走边计划回程的捷径。

I found Rock Lake around 10 o'clock.  I had to hurry back to make the midday departure from the campground at Lake Alpine.  Such a hurry eventually contributed to my being lost.  Up a ridge I thought I could cut direct line across a seemingly flat forest floor.  But no, the trail was never to be found.

10点钟左右,我终于找到了Rock Lake。但却不得不立刻往回赶,以期在中午离开露营地。由于太匆忙,我渐渐迷路了。在一个山脊上,我以为自己能直接穿过一片看似平坦的树林。但是,却怎么也找不到出路。

Now between me and the campground I must reach were nothing but rock ridges and deep gorges.  The sun was high and the rocks were reflecting heat back into the air.

巨石和深谷横在回营地路上,太阳直射大地,石头反射的热量弥漫在空气中。

The walking and climbing part was hard but it was something I could handle easily, for I was in reasonable shape.  The feeling of being lost, however, wasn't marvelous.  I remember that earlier in the morning when I passed some huge rocks, I thought that I would tell my son where my ashes should be scattered after I die.  The doubt in the mind was: would I ever get back to my son to tell him where exactly those rocks were?

徒步和爬山很艰难,但我体力极佳,尚可应对。但是迷路的感觉可不太好!早上爬过一些巨石时,我想到应该告诉儿子,待我离世后骨灰该撒在哪里。现在头脑里却存在恐惑:我还能不能回得去,告诉儿子这些巨石的位置?

Thank goodness, it was an exceptionally bright day.  From miles away I could see the Inspiration Point I went up last evening.  It was a weird looking mount, composed of half-baked dirt (volcanic lava) and reddish rocks.  But it was unique among granite peaks and pine groves.

谢天谢地!今天天空格外明朗!我可以看到几里之外的Inspiration Point我昨晚去过那里。这是一座长相古怪的山脉,由土(火山灰)和红色的岩石构成,使得它独秀于皑皑群山和葱葱密林中。

I might have prolonged my trip by jumping over huge rocks and wading through rivers.  But I did get back to the campground only about half hour behind schedule.

攀岩涉水大大延长了我的旅途,但我终于到达营地,只比预定时间延迟半小时。

The lesson of the day was: when you become lost, in the mountains or not, stay calm.  In the mountains, if you recognize a point of familiarity, aim at it and cut a straight line towards it.  Of course, to get to that point, one must overcome any harsh obstacles in between, be it a huge mountain or a deep river.  Go straight, you will be back eventually.  Only when one can overcome the seemingly impossible, it becomes possible to get back.  Finally, impossibility or despair only exists in one's mind.  In other words, most of the time we are overcoming ourselves to come home.

今天得来的教训:如果迷路,不管是否在深山中,一定要保持冷静。在深山中,如果辨别出熟悉的地点,一直朝着它走。当然,前面可能需要克服一些巨大障碍,如大山或深水。一直往前走,一定会走出来的。只有克服了不可能的困难,才能到达终点。不可能和绝望只是自己的凭空想象。换言之,如果想回家,我们需要战胜自己。

Once back, don't relay your adventure to immature people.  What I don't like is that those who had no experience of harsh or extreme conditions love to lecture others what "you should" or "you shouldn't do."

回来后,不要向不成熟的人讲述你的历险经历。我不喜欢那些没有经历任何极端困难的人来教授别人“应该”或“不应该”做什么。

You did what you had to do, in life, and you accept the consequences, even though some of them are really, really bad.

生活亦是如此:做你应该做的事,坦然面对结果,即使这个结果很糟糕……

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

4万

帖子

92万

积分

36#
发表于 2008-7-12 16:57:56 | 只看该作者

点点大礼[:-Q] 喜欢点点

实实在在的工作

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

37#
发表于 2008-7-12 17:00:49 | 只看该作者

like boss, like rice[;)][;)][;)]

like father, like son的改版
有其板,必有其米
seriously,从你身上学到的

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

6万

积分

38#
发表于 2008-7-12 17:09:17 | 只看该作者

[:-K][:-K]老二真可爱。将来的工作肯定与水有关[:-K]

老二真可爱。将来的工作肯定与水有关

---
俺的玉玺,关公所赠
好看不?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

4万

帖子

92万

积分

39#
发表于 2008-7-12 17:13:26 | 只看该作者

去看韩剧吧[:-K][:-W]

去看韩剧吧

---

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

3万

积分

40#
发表于 2008-7-12 18:21:15 | 只看该作者

回复:come to the Rockies in Canada then

are those neighbours friendly?  did you chat with them?  sounds a bit scary to me.

---
陶醉于音乐里的臭美妞杭嘉湖
问候你哦

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

24小时热帖
    一周热门
      原创摄影
        美食美文
          您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|珍珠湾ART