Question about quantum

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2005-5-16 07:30:25 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

In the current issue of Discovery, it has an article talking about a particle can be at different places at the same time but a person cannot. The particle can be an electron, a photon, an atom or a molecule. The experiment was to shoot a particle at two holes (or more). The result shows a pattern of interference, which shows that the particle went through the two holes at the same time.
Here is my question: assume the gun is closer to one hole, the photon should reach the closer hole first because it has the speed of light. How can we be sure it reaches both holes at the same time? Otherwise, it would travel to reach the two holes at different speeds, which contradicts the fact that the speed of light is constant.

Did I misunderstand someting?
Thanks.
www.ddhw.com

回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2005-5-17 08:07:38 | 只看该作者

回复:Question about quantum

You may think that the holes are arranged along a circle and the gun is at the center. I do not remember any documents mention this important fact. All material I read drew the holes in a straight line.www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

2万

积分

板凳
发表于 2005-5-17 10:20:41 | 只看该作者

This is a famous theory. I can not understand it

either. It is against our common sense. Although it was proved by some experiments, I still feel confused. The statement that A particle can be at different positions at the same time is still hard to imageine for me. If the statement change to that a particle has a mirror particle or a partner particle, then it is much easier for me to understand.  Otherwise, if a particle can have two positions at the same time, why  can't it have three or more positions at the same time? 
www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

地板
 楼主| 发表于 2005-5-17 23:15:12 | 只看该作者

回复:This is a famous theory. I can not understand i

"if a particle can have two positions at the same time, why  can't it have three or more positions at the same time? "www.ddhw.com

A particle can have two positions at the same time is the common language.  The article from Discovery says it can be at infinite places at the same time.  I don't know if it means it can be at any number of places at the same time.  Infinite places and any number of places are not the same thing.  Infinite places is even harder to understand.  Think about an atom which has a size.  Infinite places in a finite space means they overlap each other.  Perhaps this is the reason of interference.

I'll send a email to the magazine later about our discussion.  Many times, when people write articles for general public, they are not very precise.www.ddhw.com

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

24小时热帖
    一周热门
      原创摄影
        美食美文
          您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|珍珠湾ART